Here is my favorite waffle recipe. I would call it foolproof, but Jeremy has messed it up a few times (see note below).
Night before (or about 8 hours before you want to eat)
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick)
- Put the butter in the fridge to cool for a bit while you do the next step
- In a head-sized mixing bowl mix together 1/2 teaspoon yeast 2 c all-purpose flour 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Stir in 2 cups milk the 1/2 cup cooled melted butter ~1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cover and put in a room-temp place the cats can’t reach – such as a microwave. Wait overnight or ~8 hours.
When it is time to eat:
- Separate 2 eggs
- Stir yolks into the batter
- Beat the whites to soft peaks
- Fold the whites into the batter
- Cook in your waffle maker
**Ways to mess this up – aka things to avoid.
a) Substituting whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour. That ended up with super dense waffles, and only about 1/3 as many as you get from the normal recipe.
b) Doubling the recipe without doubling the size of your bowl. The batter does expand overnight and one morning we woke up to quite the mess.